Contempt of Court in Wisconsin

avvo logo
state bar of wisconsin logo
super lawyers logo

Follow Us On Social Media

Schedule a free consultation

We believe there is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to divorce, so we take a personalized approach, building a solid relationship with you. Understanding your needs and goals allows us to guide you to the best outcome possible.

Milwaukee Wisconsin Contempt Of Court Charge Attorneys

If your ex-spouse or child’s other parent is not following a court order or final judgment in your divorce or paternity action, they can be held in contempt of court. The punishment for being in contempt of the court in Wisconsin can include a monetary fine, an award of attorney fees, or even jail time if the violation of the court’s authority warrants these serious repercussions.

There are numerous reasons someone may be found to have violated the court’s orders, including disrespect towards the judge or court’s authority, failing to pay child support or spousal maintenance, or failing to take some other action that was required by the court.

The family law attorneys at Bandle & Zaeske LLP believe marital, divorce and paternity issues are best solved in a calm, fair manner, rather than through contentious arguments and finger pointing. We understand when to fight and when to resolve issues. We have the experience required to effectively guide you through the contempt of court process.

If you know that your ex-spouse or child’s other parent is not fulfilling their legal obligation set forth by the court, filing a contempt charge may become necessary. Family cases are hard for everyone involved, and when the other party fails to follow the terms of an order or agreement, those problems are exacerbated.

After the court date for the contempt hearing has been set, the accuser should plan on arriving early with a copy of the proof of service, any helpful, relevant documents, and if needed, people willing to testify on your behalf. Your attorney will help and arrange for all of this.

In Wisconsin, the accused spouse or parent is given the opportunity to explain to the court that they have followed the court’s orders in good faith or provide a compelling reason for their failure. If the court finds the ex-spouse or other parent in contempt, the judge has the authority to levy a punishment they determine to be justified, which often includes a timeline for correcting the problem.

Contempt of court cases often open up old wounds and create new ones, so it’s important to be fully prepared for anything that may arise during the hearing. The Bandle & Zaeske LLP family law firm works tirelessly to find the best solution and provide the best legal representation possible so you are comfortable and confident that justice has been served.

Give Bandle & Zaeske LLP a call at (414) 359-1424 or submit a consultation form to learn how to proceed with a contempt of court charge in the Milwaukee area.