Child Custody and Placement
Child Custody Lawyers in Milwaukee Wisconsin
Achieving a positive outcome in child custody and placement matters is our priority
For attorneys who practice family law, there are few things more heartbreaking than witnessing the effects of a bitter divorce on children. Young children at the center of a custody dispute seldom understand what is happening. Older children and teens more aware of what’s at stake can become angry and resentful. At Bandle & Zaeske LLP, our skilled Wisconsin child custody lawyers help clients maintain a healthy perspective while working diligently to secure the best possible results in child custody and placement cases.
Types of child custody and placement in Wisconsin
We believe that keeping you fully informed is vital, especially in child custody and placement matters. Types of child custody and placement options in Wisconsin include:
- Legal custody – The legal right to make key determinations regarding school, religion, healthcare, etc.
- Joint legal custody – When both parents are legally allowed to make key decisions.
- Sole legal custody – Only one parent is legally allowed to make key decisions for the child.
- Physical placement – The time during which a parent is responsible for looking after the child.
- Parenting plan – Outlines each parent’s wishes pertaining to legal custody, physical placement and additional information pertaining to the child.
Factors used in Wisconsin custody determinations
In virtually every state, including Wisconsin, family court judges presiding in child custody cases must base their final decision on what is best for the child. While that is the single most important criteria, other factors are taken into consideration. These include, but are not limited to:
- Parent wishes – Based on relevant information provided prior to the custody hearing.
- Child wishes – Based on information provided by a qualified professional assigned to work with, or act on, the child’s behalf.
- Family dynamics – Including relationships between the parents, child/children; and between each child and their siblings.
- Parental history of substance abuse – Including habitual misuse of drugs, alcohol, painkillers, etc.
- Parental history of violence – Including spousal battery, child abuse or any other type of violence.
- Evidence of criminal activity – Involving someone who is either dating or living with the child’s parent.
- Which parent can provide the most suitable environment – The environment which causes the least disruption and stress for the child.
Contact our experienced Milwaukee child custody lawyers today for trustworthy guidance
A divorce or child custody dispute can take an emotional toll on everyone involved – especially the children. At Bandle & Zaeske LLP, our Milwaukee child custody lawyers help you weather the emotional storm. The successful resolution of your child custody case begins with a free consultation — call (414) 359-1424 or contact us online. We work with families in Milwaukee, Washington, Racine, Fond du Lac, Dodge, Ozaukee and Waukesha counties.