Child Support FAQ

avvo logo
state bar of wisconsin logo
super lawyers logo

Follow Us On Social Media

Schedule a free consultation

We believe there is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to divorce, so we take a personalized approach, building a solid relationship with you. Understanding your needs and goals allows us to guide you to the best outcome possible.

Child Support Frequently Asked Questions

Knowledgeable family lawyers answer your most common child support questions

Child support is a contentious issue for many divorcing couples. Emotions run high when children are involved, and it is important to understand both the law and your rights when it comes to child support in Wisconsin. The experienced family law attorneys at Bandle & Zaeske, LLP in Milwaukee skillfully assist couples through divorce, child support, and child custody issues, advocating on behalf of their clients every step of the way. Our team answers some of the most frequently asked questions pertaining to child support in Wisconsin.

How much should I expect to pay in child support?

The state of Wisconsin believes that that both parents have an obligation to provide for their children, even after a divorce. The amount that you will be expected to pay in child support depends on several factors, including your income, other financial resources, the other parent’s income and the amount of time you will each be spending with your child or children. In some cases, the court will assign an income to a parent who has an earning capacity greater than what is currently being earned.

I don’t see my child much. Do I still have to pay child support?

Yes. Child support is different from child custody and visitation. By law, every parent has an obligation to support their children. You may not withhold child support over a child visitation issue and doing so may have negative consequences for both you and your child. If your ex-spouse is not upholding the terms of the child visitation, the best course of action is to go back to court to request that your visitation rights be enforced.

How long do I have to provide child support?

Parents are required to support their child until the child is 18 years and the child has either graduated high school or received a diploma equivalent (such as a GED). However, once a child reaches 19 years of age, the legal obligation to pay support ends.

There are some special circumstances which may also result in the end of the legal obligation to pay support, such as where the child is on active duty in the military or where a parent’s rights to the child are terminated, as in cases where the child is adopted.

Have more questions regarding child support? Give us a call

Child support, child custody, and visitation are important issues that can be quite overwhelming to parents as they go through the process of divorce. We are happy to answer all of your questions and help you navigate the complexities of divorce and child support as smoothly as possible. At the family law firm of Bandle & Zaeske, LLP, we understand the challenges child support and child custody present. To arrange for a confidential, complimentary consultation with a member of our team, contact us today at (414) 359-1424 or online.